miércoles, 10 de abril de 2019

Norms

My didactic unit is entitled "Norms" and it's aimed at 3rd year of ESO students. The subject I have chosen is Ethical Values.

The subject matter of this unit is rules and the different grammatical structures used to express them. I state the difference between rules and obligations and work with vocabulary related to housework activities.

My objectives in this unit are:

·                    To promote communicative competence.

·                    To promote the knowledge and respect for rules and norms.

·                    To develop listening and speaking activities.

·                    To express obligation using must and have to.

·                    To learn vocabulary related to housework.

·                    To use learning to learn strategies through the use of dictionaries, inferring meaning from context, etc.

 I have prepared a series of activities distributed in four sessions:

 1st session:

I introduce the unit showing my pupils several pictures of people doing the housework and of different signs allowing or banning certain behaviors. I will check previous knowledge by asking them some simple questions such as Have you ever cleaned your room? Do you know how to use the vacuum cleaner?, Do you like ironing?. Then I speak about obligations and norms.

A second part of this session will be a written comprehension so as to see the grammar rules about norms in context. I have chosen a set of short texts about school rules with a final comprehension chart.

https://en.islcollective.com/resources/printables/worksheets_doc_docx/school_rules_must_and_mustnt/must-or-mustnt/86150.

2nd session:

My second session will be devoted to work with vocabulary. I will explain first new vocabulary and expressions related to the housework and then I will contribute to fix this new vocabulary in my pupil's minds by means of some interactive activities.

Interactive map:

https://www.educaplay.com/es/recursoseducativos/591925/cinderella_housework.htm

Match columns:

https://www.educaplay.com/es/recursoseducativos/2679216/household_objects.htm

Crossword:

 https://www.educaplay.com/es/recursoseducativos/838153/housework.htm

 3rd session:

In my third session the main point is oral comprehension. We will work with our text books and their adapted listenings. Pupils will listen three or four times to the text and will have to fill in a listening guide with the information that they understand.

 4th session:

Now is the moment to be productive in the English language so, in groups of four, they will discuss orally about the most appropriate rules for their class and will have to reach an agreement. Finally they will write their rules on a sheet of paper and will read them aloud at class in turns. The whole group will vote for the best ten rules.

 You can have a look at my CLIL didactic unit design here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj5meaxm1bup649/CLILUNIT_topic3.docx?dl=0

Esther Paz Mandado

 

3 comentarios:

  1. Congrats! I think you really have coped with it. I believe this topic is an essential one to be developed in class. Very interesting materials used as well.
    MªCristina Porra Gonzalez.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hola Esther, enhorabuena por tu trabajo. Es una unidad didáctica muy interesante y muy rica en contenidos y materiales que son de gran ayuda para llevarla a cabo con los alumnos.

    Virginia Masa Redondo.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Good afternoon Esther! I think you have made a great selection of the topic. As the materials as the organization of them have been appropriated to carry out the unit. I think you have done a good job!

    Lidia Serna Quiles

    ResponderEliminar